Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Don't sit under the apple tree.

Seriously, don't. The apples are falling off at a record pace.

I wish I knew how to take care of that tree. I have a feeling we're going to lose it in another two or three years unless we do something, and I really like having it there.

No deep thoughts this time, just some craft updates, some pictures, and then off to finish my crafty, sporty sunday.

Working on socks, of course. The Koi socks are on hold while I finish off a pair of slip-stitch rib socks from Charlene Schurch's "Sensational Knitted Socks". The yarn is handspun, "Tulips", blue faced leicester fiber dyed in the Tulips colorway by Spunky Eclectic. I got the fiber in a Ravelry destash some time ago. The socks are incredibly bouncy, springy, vibrant things. They're going to feel terrific on my feet.

P9212713

The pattern really is a good match for handspun candystripe type yarn.

P9212714

Though I did manage to match up the dye job on the roving when I was spinning the yarn in quite a few places as seen here.

Also making a sweater/jacket thing called the "Flyaway Free Jacket" from a website, Just One More Row. Good stuff, I think. She has a lot of plus sized patterns, including the famous Diamond Patch sweater which I really want to make using my Interlacements Kansas yarn. Anyway, the jacket is a very quick knit, I just started it yesterday afternoon, and I'm 1/4 done already, using chunky handspun.

P9212705

There are two options for gauge on the pattern, one for 2 stitches to the inch and one for 2.5. I went with the 2.5 to give a more solid fabric but it's still a nice texture, and I think it shows off the yarn very well. It should also block out quite a bit larger, although it's already pretty big.

P9212707

I spun some yarn earlier in the week using a merino braid I got in a destash. It was one of those multicolored combed top preparations and I split it into three even pieces to get a three ply yarn. I am sold.

P9212709

The yarn is incredibly drapey and smooth, and looks so much more professional than 2 ply.

P9212708

I'm still very much a beginner to spinning and it was a real eye-opener to see how much rounder and better feeling a real three ply yarn is. Now to spin fine enough to actually create three ply sock yarn!

In other things, Bob got a new car, YAY.

P9132699

It's a 2009 Scion XB, just as adorable and badass as it could be. He loves it. His car has been on last legs for some time, having progressively more serious issues as time went on (as 14-year old cars are wont to do) and it's just nice to know I don't have to worry about him getting trapped somewhere or breaking down far from home.

I'll close with random flowers and a bug. The Steelers game is about to start!

P9212720
P9212719

P9212723
P9212718

P9212715

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, stinkbug! They've been climbing into my car and dying for 2 weeks now, I get so sad.

Anyway- Apple tree.
I think they need regular pruning. I'm no expert, but the ones in my parent's yard always got very very long in the limb and couldn't necessarily hold themselves together, if that makes any sense.

They were the best for climbing when I was small, though.