Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

My mind, it does not belong to me



My Grandmother, Frances Fusco Sneed, in her WAC uniform. Veteran's Day is always a day I remember her.


I'm going to try for a regular update thing. We've had a busy few weeks plus I've been sick, and am sick again, so cover your nose and mouth while reading this blog entry just in case I have swine flu. I wouldn't want to be an agent of the porkocalypse.

A couple of weeks ago, for Halloween, we went to visit friends in central PA and indulge in some visiting and foods and some year-end ritual and some hot tubbing, which by the way, was miraculous for my leg. I made good stuff to take up and share and took photos.

PA316091

Homemade pepperoni bread. It amazed me that every recipe I found for pepperoni bread said "take frozen bread dough and ..." Why? Bread dough is so easy. I made my own Italian bread dough and rolled pepperoni and provolone into it and it was awesome.

PA316092

I also made gingersnap cake starting from a mix and added cranberries and crumbled triple gingersnaps to the top.

PA316090

Both were delicious. I wish I had time to bake more, as I really enjoy it.

We went to the park the next day with the dogs, and I took lots of photos. It was a glorious late-fall day and it resulted in a photo set, here in convenient slideshow format for your indulgence or not.



Still knitting, still making the same things. Also making a pair of mitts for me out of leftover yarn from the slippers I've been making.

PB086203

PB086204

I imagine I'll write up a pattern for the mitts. They're easy enough, but I haven't done a pattern in a while so I'll post this one. Once I'm finished.

Biscuit is weird. Still.
PA306084

And Bob still knows it.
PA306086

Deer in our yard, one morning. Cell phone picture so not great.
SSPX0284

And the building caddy-corner from my office, first thing in the morning when it's dark out.
SSPX0312

One of the Steelers lives there, and it's also where the Social Security office is.

It's kind of fun to let photos pile up on my cell phone, because sometimes I forget what all is there and when I go to unload them, I get some surprises.

This is the bridge between our two buildings at work. I call this Meatfunk Alley, because the exhaust fan from a Gyro place blows into it and it stinks. I haven't had a gyro since I've been working there.

SSPX0302

This was our food, the night we went to Braddock's restaurant, the night we went to the Opera.

SSPX0299
SSPX0300

And this was in the window of Prantl's Bakery downtown, just before Halloween.
SSPX0317

Poor Lily had to have 12 teeth taken out. She has had dental problems all along-probably a combination of bad genetics and poor nutrition as a puppy and while she was being bred. The first night home from the vet and we put a blanket in her corner for her to lay on. Dylan had to share the blanket, but the picture looks like he's laying there to keep an eye on her.
SSPX0316

I think that's about it. I've got a lot of serious posts bumping around in my brain, but I can't seem to find the time to write them out. This is becoming a problem.

No comments: