Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Monday, July 23, 2012

What a week

It's been one heck of a week.

I finished the tour de fleece with a personal record, seven skeins, two pounds, just under five miles of yarn.

P7232244

When we last met, I had spun two.

This is a polwarth/silk blend, a two ply gradient, 817 yards. About five ounces.

P7152163

Next was a lovely BFL. The fiber was a peach to pink to blue gradient and I split it to spin "fractal" three ply. One lengthwise third was left as is, one third divided in two lengthwise, and the last third divided by four lengthwise. The fractal color progressions will show up when it's knitted. It's 3 ply, so it's less yardage, 465 yards.

P7152164

Next was a merino/silk gradient, the pictures do not do this skein justice, it is much prettier than it looks here. 652 yards, two ply.

P7232250

Next, I did a gradient skein in two equal halves, then chain plied the singles to create a three ply matching sock yarn. This was a merino/bamboo/nylon blend and totaled 470 yards.

P7232251

And finally, on the very last day, I spun this gorgeous camel/silk blend to a worsted weight 367 yards. I call it Champagne on the Champs, and I am in love with this blend.

P7232246

The skein was still a little damp when I took the photos, it's shinier and more bouncy now.

We went to Hog Heaven Rescue's open house Saturday, we took my Mom along and it was a nice day. This pig tried to come home with us.

P7212195

Here's a slideshow of the whole day. Hog Heaven does great work doing large animal rescue and I encourage you to check them out and donate if you can.



Healthwise, I'm not ok. Super stressed. Bob lost his job, which has thrown us into chaos. My face still hurts where I fell and my ear is still tender. I've been swimming and so on but my stomach issues are much worse when I'm stressed and I have not been sleeping well. This too shall pass, at least I hope so. He has quite a few leads and prospects coming up so please keep all applicable body parts crossed and if you have any leads for a help desk/tech writer type job please let me know.

For now at least we'll just keep buzzing along.
P7152152

1 comment:

Jody said...

Beautiful yarn, Jamie. I admire your creativity in spinning!