Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

forget the dreams, perchance to just freaking sleep.

Lightning update. I'm not sleeping worth a darn. Can't get comfortable in bed and am tending to wake up at outrageous hours of the morning and be unable to go back to sleep. Five days off and for four of them, I've been up at the asscrack of dawn.

Eye doctor appointment yesterday confirmed what I suspected-it's bifocal time. I'll live. Also, my days as a wearer of contact lenses are at an end. I have corneal vascularization which means I've starved my eyes of oxygen (by overwearing cheap contact lenses). Also, my prescription has gone up and with the bifocal aspect, it just won't work for contacts.

I did enjoy those days I had of waking up able to see. I'll miss them.

Lots of knitting. I'm making a real dent in my holiday stuff. All I need to get done now are some more washcloths, two mobiuses (mobii?) for my aunts and finish my mother's FNF shawl, which is like an anchor around my leg. I am really not motivated to finish it. No idea why. I think I just need to get back into a groove with it. I did finish the four-stitch scarf and did a whole 'nother one in a bigger needle size, one for my ex-cubemate, one for my boss. This is the one for my boss.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is a multi-directional scarf that I made for my clerk, Barb. She's a very tall, very thin woman who is extremely energized. I adapted the multi-directional scarf pattern to be stockinette with an occasional garter row for visual interest. The first picture is more true to texture, the second is more true to color.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Those are both from handspun.

Recently, I picked up some Patons SWS (soy wool stripes) on sale. Decided to try some entrelac with it. If this works, it'll likely be for me. So far so good.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
They're six-stitch squares, not the standard eight, and I'm not doing the slipstitch edge, rather being very careful to be consistent in where I pick up from the edge so the squares all match. I am really loving short-rowing lately. What is up with that?

I'm going to try lying down for a while.

No comments: