Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Monday, November 13, 2006

Okay, now what do we do?

My mind is in a whirl. I can't believe what this last week has wrought, and I've had various pithy thoughts about it rolling around in my head which, of course, I have not bothered to take the time to jot down. I don't think they're lost, just hiding.

It's upsetting to me that I have to go back to work tomorrow. You'd think that four days off would be enough, but it isn't. And to top it all off, I have a way too long list of things I want to do around the house. I should know better, really.

So, I guess I'll hold off on the political commentary until I'm more organized in the thought department, and just move straight to the fiber.

Friday, I did an experiment in felting. A lot of my early handspun yarn isn't really suitable for garments, it's uneven, thick, underspun. So I decided to try felting with some of it. I made a bowl, which looks rather like a Dr. Seuss' child's hat. I like it. I lost patience, though, and stopped felting it before it lost all stitch definition. My weakness, as always.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I do like the result, though. It's fanciful.

Here's the bowl posed in a lovely, artistic still-life with a "garterlac" washrag, and my take from someone's LiveJournal destashing. (three and 3/4 skeins of elann pure alpaca and 400 yds trekking sock yarn.)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I liked doing the garterlac, it was nice to learn the technique, and I look forward to applying it to more complicated projects in the future.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's done in Aunt Lydia's "Denim" crochet cotton. It's really nice stuff, very soft and very drapey. I'm thinking this will be a face cloth, not a dishrag. And hooray, I have a total four skeins of it in different colors that I bought on sale a while back, not knowing what I was going to do with it.

A while back I posted the little fern lace washrag, it's growing a big brother, a teatowel, and I'm hoping the set will make a nice gift for my mother in law if I don't kill myself out of boredom with knitting it first.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Patience is definitely my biggest weakness. I get bored too easily.
But it'll be pretty.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
That's about it, other than a progress shot on the four-stitch scarf.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(with sleeping corgi for interest)
Now, to shake off this malaise.

No comments: