Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Monday, March 16, 2009

They grow it in the farmlands and they take it to the stores

So it's been a strange sort of week. I am late posting today because I had an eye exam. It's been two years plus of being increasingly unhappy with my glasses so it was time to get new ones. It's a new eye doctor this time, recommended by a co-worker, and these are the frames I'm getting.

SSPX0031

I kinda wanted a more retro looking pair but they were all either too big, too small, or too expensive. The Sophia Loren frames look great on me, though, and with all the discounts weren't even that expensive.

Here's a rare bit of food photos.
P3153911

That's a prime rib roast (small one, only three bones) and a yorkshire pudding, my first. It was very easy to make, and I'll definitely make it again if I ever again make a ridiculously indulgent piece of meat like a standing rib roast again. Bob actually bought it not knowing what it was and it was so huge that I cut it into two pieces.

P3153912

The "pudding" is a sort of custardy thing. For those of us unfamiliar with it, you mix flour, milk (or beer, apparently) and eggs with the pan drippings and bake. It was yummy.

In knitting, I started on an actual sweater.

P3153916

The pattern is called Decimal and it's from the latest Knitty. I loved it as soon as I saw it because they actually modeled it on a plus model as well as a thin model. And I had yarn in my stash that would work for it.

P3153913

Doesn't look like much yet. I have so little patience any more though. I did finish my roundabout socks, and will hopefully have photos of them soon.

Today, I walked around Ikea after the eye doctor because my eyes were all dilated and I couldn't see very well. Got a plate of swedish meatballs and then walked around the store and bought some little stuff. I could spend thousands in Ikea, easily. All the things they have are so cute and clever. If we ever end up with enough money to redo our kitchen for real, I want it from Ikea. They had a model kitchen there that was, seriously, the size of mine and it was gorgeous. And not all that expensive, less than $2000. But still more than we can afford right now. I love walking around in there, though, and looking at all the stuff. I did get a french press coffee pot for work, as my electric pot is a mess and needs to be thrown out.

Phone is going well-I'm still learning my way around it. The photo of the glasses is a phone photo. It's a combination of weird and fun being able to text people now.

I have a lot on my mind but no time or energy to blog about it. Maybe later in the week. I kinda wore myself out today, so going to work tomorrow is not assured. If I stay home, maybe I'll write out some more stuff that I have been thinking.

It was nice driving around today, seeing the new green starting to come out. There's still some leftover dull dead green here and there, and the new green feels like a refreshing breeze across the landscape. Little shoots on bushes and trees, bits of grass and undergrowth, and tiny tips of tulip and daffodil leaves in the yard. Makes me feel better, a little.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the sweater--I really want to knit it! And your new glasses are great.

Anonymous said...

Sweater's lookin' good! You'll definitely be done with the sweater before I finish my shawl.

Terri H. said...

Sweater's nice, yeah yeah yeah...want. prime. rib. now!

MadCarlotta said...

Oooh, you make me want to try my hand at Yorkshire Pudding again! I tried to make it once many years ago and it was a giant FAIL.

I actually have a prime rib in my freezer, maybe this weekend...

Unknown said...

MadCarlotta WHAT TIME SHOULD WE BE OVER.