Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

the money's gone, nowhere to go

It's been an interesting week. Work is work. Not that I expect it to be anything different. Home is home, and comforting as always. My rudimentary exercise program is more difficult than I expected. I'm very skilled at talking myself out of things.

I'm proud to say I'm now a member of the Pittsburgh Women's Blogging Society. Whee!


Knitting goes well. The Pinwheel sweater continues to languish, incomplete, whilst I knit socks. I think the socks will all get finished, though.

Here's my mother-in-law's Parasol socks. It is a bit aggravating that you can't see the lace pattern, but trust me, it's there. When the socks are ON, it's very apparent. She has very small feet, so I'm guessing as best I can. I come from the land of the large-footed, so small feetedness is quite alien to me. My husband has small feet too, for a man. He wears a men's 9 1/2. So we can actually wear the same shoes. Embarrassing. But anyway.

PB171184

PB171188

Take my word for it, there's lace. The yarn was perhaps not the best choice. But she will like them. She thinks sock knitting is the pinnacle of all things yarny. She should see some of the lace shawls I've seen. Anyway, bless her little wee feet, I hope she likes the socks. I'm thinking I'll finish them tomorrow.

The Hederas will likewise be done very soon, hopefully by tomorrow.
PB171179

I love this yarn so much.
PB171182

The non-matching stripe is deliberate. I thought about it. She'll like them more if they don't match. I may try to match the jaywalkers.

PB171183

There's a new yarn store in town, Natural Stitches. I went there today but neglected to bring my camera. I can recommend it, the prices are excellent and they have a fantastic amount of yarn, pattern books, instructional books, supplies, and more.

Yeah, more. They have spinning fiber. I was SO excited to see spinning fiber there.
PB171176

I may have offered to teach a spinning class. I am not sure. Things were getting a little foggy there when I was checking out.

PB171175

I only got a pound. Not bad. It's Mauch Chunky roving from Kraemer. 100% wool. 8 oz of each colorway and they sorta coordinate.

I also got some Malabrigo and some sock yarn. And some books. Dammit. Maybe it was the fumes from the wall-0-cascade that made me lose my mind a little in there.

I'm not much of a stash-flasher, but here's the whole haul.
PB171166

I look forward to seeing how things develop with the store. It has a great deal of potential. It's not as cozy as Knit One, but I will visit both depending on what I need as they carry different things.

Did a trip to Trader Joe's while I was there and it was crowded. I'm to bring a fruit pie to Thanksgiving and wanted to see what TJs had along those lines, but didn't feel like fighting through the upscale urban lifestyle shoppers. Gah.

My therapist said I should find some new friends. Melissa was really my only friend except for Bob, and now that she's gone, I don't really have anyone. I just don't see myself going out and being social, but it would be nice to get out and socialize with some women now and then. I wish I had time to go to the Tuesday knitting group at Knit One. But when I'm not working, I want to be home. I am not sure if that's a normal state of being or a condition of depression. It saddens me that I am 46 years old and have no close friends other than my husband.

Ah well, onward and upward. And at least Bob's a very high-quality friend and spouse. Until next time-

No comments: