Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Monday, November 26, 2007

don't talk back!

Mostly to catch up on spinning and knitting that I didn't cover in the drunken post from last night. Yes, spinning, a small justified amount.

In order to do the cuff for my mother's christmas stocking, I needed to card and spin some of the white alpaca that I washed earlier. I did up about 100 yards, and it should be more than enough.

PB261354

I spun it fine and chain-plied it. The result is a yarn that is somewhat finer than the yarn for the body of the stocking, but it will look nice. Three simple cables on the cuff, which will be folded over on the top of the stocking. The lining is actually a poofy satin holiday stocking that I got at Joanne Fabrics with the decorative elements cut off. It makes the stocking look nice and full even when it isn't.

PB261355

here's some shots I took outside before the stocking was done, but it shows the stitch pattern a bit more. A simple checkerboard pattern of seed stitch and stockinette.

PB251348

PB251351

I think it'll be quite nice.

To reward myself, and since I had the wheel out anyway, I carded and spun some of the yak fiber from Copper Moose.

PB241341

The raw fiber is incredibly soft. It needs very little carding to spin well.

PB241340

It has minimal VM, and the guard hairs are so soft I'm only picking them out if they stick out. It's spinning up nice and fine.

PB251345

And wow, is it ever soft. I can't wait to get a skein finished so I can knit a swatch.

Tonight's Monday Night Football with the Steelers. Go Steelers! I made a yummy dinner, smothered pork chops with mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, and broccoli. Cold-weather food, fitting, since it's been raining all day.

I should also mention that my darling husband has started a blog. He's at the top of the sidebar over there-check it out if you get a chance. He's a pretty funny dude, and a very good writer.

No comments: