Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Brief Introduction

Welcome to my blog. This is unlike my livejournal blog, where I'm part of this large, rambling community of people who know each other online or off, and pretend to keep in touch that way. This space is all about me. And you don't have to like it. I'm the only one who has to like it.

Fiber-obsessed is one way of putting it. I first learned to crochet when I was very young, maybe six or seven. I put it aside for a long time. When I decided to stop smoking, I took up crocheting again. In typical newbie fiber arter fashion, I went to the local mega bigbox craft shop where I dove deep into a heap of lion brand and nearly drowned.




I got out before my psyche or the psyches of any of my children were too damaged. I did survive, and became a terrible yarn snob.

How terrible a yarn snob? So terrible that I actually started spinning. First on a spindle, then on this.

I am not going to post a gazillion pictures of my yarn or my early crocheting attempts. I've started knitting, and I have no idea why, but it's a lot more compelling than crochet. That's something I'd really like to investigate more because I don't understand the reason. Look for a post about it in the not-too-distant. Anyway, as a novice knitter, I'm working on a pair of socks and a clapotis. I've completed a scarf.

In my heart, I'm a spinner first. Spinning gives me joy. Seeing a handful of fluff turn into yarn does something amazing to me. Seeing that yarn that I made turn into a beautiful thing is exponential.



I don't know why blogger won't let me upload any more pictures into this post.

Perhaps I just need to figure it out better.

So anyway, in addition to the fiber stuff, I'm on a serious healthy eating lifestyle adaptation and I'm also a reformed smoker, seven going on eight months now, so I'm pretty insufferable about it. No excuses. I may post about any and all those topics.

No comments: