Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Fiber Arts in the Burgh

Pittsburgh is fortunate enough to have a lot of great resources for fiber artists of all kinds. As a spinner, I've watched it go from "maybe you can find some roving at one LYS if they're stocking it right now" to at least three major yarn stores featuring a variety of spinning supplies including tools, fiber, and books. Our Knit and Crochet festival attracts vendors from all over the country, featuring all kinds of fibercrafting goods. And now we have the Indie Knit and Spin Marketplace, for the second year. The show focuses on local independent fiber artists and suppliers, and associated products. I wanted to go last year but couldn't. I was happy to get the chance this year!

The marketplace is the brainchild of Cosette Cornelius-Bates, of Cosymakes. I first met Cosy about five years ago, at my very first Handmade Arcade. She was selling hats and yarns and freezing. I loved her designs and have been following her and buying her yarns and fibers ever since. I highly recommend her products, I've never been disappointed.

Anyway. The marketplace was small but what was there was fantastic. It wasn't overwhelmingly crowded either, which was nice. All in all an event I'd encourage folks to attend, in small groups, a little bit at a time so it's nicely spread out. :)

I had a small budget and managed to stay within it. (too much upcoming holiday stuff to buy to buy stuff for myself!)

I got these fun odds and ends of Cosy's falkland. LOVE this fiber-it spins like a dream.

Untitled

I thought they would play well together.

These washed locks of Debouillet from Fiddlehead Fibers were too tempting. I have never tried this fiber and I love the creamy look of the locks. Reminds me of Cheviot, which is one of my favorites.
Untitled

I couldn't turn down these fun batts from Gwen Erin. She had so much great stuff in her booth I could have blown my whole budget there and then some. Her handspun yarns were also exceptionally beautiful.
Untitled

There were lots more great vendors there and I encourage you to visit them via the links on the sidebar of the Indy Knit and Spin page.

No comments: