Chitchat and the occasional in-depth analysis about fiber, knitting, spinning, crochet, cooking, feminism, self-image, and a modicum of personal blathering.

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

November 6

I’m having a hard time coming up with a topic. I’m nervous about the election and didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. I keep thinking Romney couldn’t be worse than Bush, could he? He couldn’t. Then I think about Ryan and basic precepts of Mormonism and how they’ve come down on women through this whole campaign and I think about my daughters and I think he could be a lot worse. For women, he could be a whole lot worse.

Obama is not perfect. He’s way too conservative for my tastes, for one thing. Far too business-friendly. But overall, we have gone in the right direction under his leadership. We could have gone further with a cooperative congress but still, progress is better than none.

So I’ll be glued to the couch knitting or weaving or spinning nervously, hoping the news is good and that it comes early enough. My current weaving is dish towels for family gifts, and my current couch knitting (as opposed to travel knitting) is a scarf for my former supervisor.

Here’s my blog entry after 2008’s impossibly emotional election. It was a night that changed the country. History. We need to keep going forward, not back. Especially not back to the 1920s, which is where R/R want to take us.

When I voted tonight, I was number 378 in my district. By way of comparison, for the primaries at around the same time of day, I was 91st.

Links of interest-Have you ever wondered how Ronald Reagan went from being the head of a union to being the patron saint of the ultraconservative? The Hairpin explains that there are good union heads, and there are ones that turn into Ronald Reagan. Fascinating and apt reading tonight.


In woolier directions, this is Wovember. Excellent reading to be found on the subject, here.

UPDATE: We got it right! Thank you sensible citizens of the US.


No comments: